--------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Book Review: The Lacemaker and the Princess by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

The Lacemaker and the Princessis the story of a friendship between a bourgoise lacemaker and a princess of France. When Isabelle delivers lace to the palace one day and is saved from being trampled to death by Marie Antoinette, she becomes a companion to the young princess Therese. Isabelle begins leading a double life - hardship and hunger at home, luxury and excess at the palace. But, when rumors of a revolution begin to rock the countryside, can Isabelle reconcile the people she loves at Versailles and the reality that she sees everyday in town?



Things I Liked:
I loved the way Bradley describes the palace and what life was like for both royalty and commoners. I felt like I was in that place, smelling the scents, touching and seeing the beauty and the horrors. I also really liked Isabelle and how she changes and comes to understand both palace life and the poverty and misery that most of the country experienced. She tries to reconcile those two worlds and it makes her grow and change in realistic ways. I also gained more of an understanding of the royal family and perhaps some reasons for their actions (or rather inaction).

Things I Didn't Like:
This was a good book for younger audiences. I found that sometimes I didn't feel compelled to finish the book. It was short enough to make it easier, though. I think it is best suited for grade school and middle grade readers - it might be a bit juvenile for older readers. Still enjoyable for me as an adult, though.

Read-alikes:
Good historical fiction, not necessarily the same time period though:
The Midwife's Apprenticeand Catherine, Called Birdyby Karen Cushman
Crispin: The Cross of Leadby Avi

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->
a little bit frightening sometimes

Overall rating: ****

2 comments :

  1. I loved this book! I think it would be a great one to read with kids to learn about the French Revolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I got the suggestion from your review :) I learned plenty about the French Revolution myself!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015