--------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, April 9, 2010

Book Review: Captivate by Carrie Jones

Captivate picks up right where Need left off.  Zara and her friends are trying to keep the pixie population under control by trapping them all in a house in the woods.  But, when new pixies begin to show up, including Astley, a pixie king who promises he is not like the others, things begin to be even more dangerous, especially for her boyfriend Nick.

Captivate

Things I Liked:
Despite the fact that I disliked Need, I wanted to give a second chance to the series.  I actually found myself enjoying the action.  When things picked up in the second half of the book, I began to feel invested in the characters and what happens to them.  I particularly like the secondary characters Issie and Betty.  I guess it was in spite of myself that I enjoyed the story.  It had some surprises and some interesting twists I wasn't expecting.  I also enjoyed some of the snarky and sarcastic humor: 

"Zara, sympathy is just a good excuse to buy greeting cards and make sorry eyes and secretly gloat over how glad you are that you aren't the person whose crap is hanging out there for the world to see," Betty says. p 69
Things I Didn't Like:Zara and Nick.  Despite Zara repeatedly saying Nick had a hero-complex, I really think she is the one who thinks she must save everyone.  Literally, everyone in the world.  It was actually annoying most of the time.  The first half of the book was very slow and I gagged over Nick and Zara's relationship.  Sometimes I felt like the author was laughing at the melodrama that was this book, other times I felt like she was taking it too seriously.  I'm still not sure if the second half made up for the first, but I will probably read the next book to see how things turn out.

Read-alikes:
Be sure to read Need first

The Wicked Lovely books by Melissa Marr
Definitely a Twilight read-alike
Wings by Aprilynne Pike

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
a few


mrg-factor: none
just kissing and cuddling (sometimes to the point of nausea)


v-factor: ->->
there is some somewhat bloody fighting


Overall rating: ***

Any series where you liked the second book more than the first?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. I agree on this series - it's entertaining, but not much else. The romance is nauseating. Like you, I think I like the secondary characters more than the primaries. I'm sure I'll read the next book, too, even though I'm pretty ho-hum about the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, glad I'm not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost this one halfway through and didn't get a chance to finish it. Though, I have to say, I don't really miss it and I'm not going to search it out. Though I was liking the other fairy king...

    And I agree about Zara and Nick. You think she could be poking fun at Twilight, though? Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I hadn't thought of her making fun of Twilight, but I suppose it's entirely possible! It's too bad I feel somewhat invested in the minor characters, or I wouldn't read any more in the series.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015