--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Book Review: The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication date: January 2011
ISBN: 9780373210183
Source: e-copy of ARC provided by NetGalley


The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen)

Definitely spoilers for the first two books ahead:
Meghan and Ash have been banished from the Nevernever.  But, when Meghan tries to head home, she realizes there isn't anything there for her either.  She sets off on a quest to find her mortal father, the one who raised her as a child.  The fey, however, have other needs for her.  Oberon and Mab offer a plea for Meghan's assistance in fighting against the false Iron King, who is taking over the Nevernever and destroying all of Faery with their iron influence.  Meghan is the only one who has the power to destroy the false king, and so she sets herself on the impossible quest, with the help of Ash and Puck.  But, will she survive the battle with the Iron King herself?

Things I Liked:
Kagawa wrote a fabulous story, again.  I really love the faery mythology and especially the iron fey.  I liked how there were surprises, even if the story seemed like it couldn't go anywhere else.  She's created a realistic and well-developed world that seems to fit neatly with our own world.  Interesting characters making difficult choices kept me reading the book.  Puck continues to be my favorite, even though he isn't Meghan's choice and even though Meghan was so angry at him (which kinda made me roll my eyes a bit).  Also Grimalkin was interesting and snarky throughout, much to my enjoyment.  And I have to admit the ending was pretty gutsy.  But, I suppose if there is going to be another book, then it makes more sense.  


Things I Didn't Like:
I kept getting a bit annoyed by the plot - it seemed like an endless cycle of prepare for battle, last night before battle, battle, and then more of the same.  There were so many "last nights" in this book I started to wonder how many times they could almost die.  Also, while the ending, as I mentioned was gutsy, I thought Ash's motivations were odd.  *SPOILER MOMENT* Didn't he say how he would do anything and everything in his power to be with Meghan?  So why did he not hang out with her when she left the Iron lands occasionally?  Why didn't they meet and mingle every chance they got?  Why watch her from afar, because he can't keep away and yet manages to keep away?  I just thought it was quite out of character.  I'm willing to be convinced if someone can explain this to me, but it seemed more like it simply led to the next book.  *END SPOILER MOMENT*  I'm probably one of the only people out there that didn't adore this book, but I did like it.  Be sure to check out some other reviews, too.


Read-alikes:
Read the first two books in the Iron Fey series

Wicked Lovely books by Melissa Marr
Lament and Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !@
here and there a few


mrg-factor: X
some implied stuff, nothing on page


v-factor: ->->
there are an awful lot of battles, but not a lot of gore


Overall rating: ***

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

2 comments :

  1. I appreciate your content ratings along with your reviews. I haven't read this series yet, but there sure have been a lot of reviews and talk about them. They are on my TBR list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee, I'm happy to do the ratings :) Let me know what you think if you do pick this series up!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015