--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, August 8, 2011

Book Review: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
Publisher: Henry Holt
Publication date: May 2011
ISBN: 9780805092523
Source: Review copy provided by publicist


Ruby Red (Ruby Red - Trilogy)

Gwyneth has always been the forgotten girl in her household.  Her cousin Charlotte has been prepared since birth to be a time traveler.  But when she is the one to travel back, everything is turned upside down.  She will discover secrets about her birth that her mother has been hiding.  She will also have to travel with Gideon, another time traveler, to a London of the 18th century and deal with past travelers whose motivations remain hidden.  Can she unravel all the secrets of the past and the present before it is too late?

Things I Liked:
I really do love a good time travel story.  Sometimes I go a while without reading one, then when I do I remember how awesome they are!  This is a really good one too, complete with time paradoxes and secret societies.  I loved the mysterious atmosphere and the period clothing descriptions and just how much fun it was to fall into the story with Gwyneth.  Action, mystery, secrets, betrayals, all wrapped in a time travel cloak.  An awesome beginning to a series that I'm planning to devour.  


Things I Didn't Like:
There were remarkably few wording issues that arose from the translation.  Pretty well done, I'd say, but not entirely absent.  I was a little struck at how juvenile Gwyneth seemed at the beginning. I had a hard time seeing her as sixteen.  But as the book progressed, so did she and I was able to accept that.  I'm definitely hooked on this one.


Read-alikes:
Hourglass by Myra McEntire

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller a little bit

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !  

a few mild words every so often

mrg-factor: X
some implied stuff, nothing on page


v-factor: ->
a little bit of action, but not gory at all


Overall rating: ****

Can you wrap your head around time travel stories?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. I don't know why I had decided not to read this one but I'm reconsidering now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, I hope you do, I'd love to hear your opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved all the characters almost instantly! The only one I can think of that I didn't fall for immediately was Gwyneth's best friend Leslie, but that was only in the first few chapters and I fell in love with her too by the end. Charlotte and her mother weren't exactly likeable but I still enjoyed the role of their characters. I think something will happen with Charlotte to make us love and understand her in the future but at the moment she seems a teensy bit snobish to me.

    The plot is fast paced and full of action and drama and a little romance. It's a fun well-written story that you'll have problems putting down. The only thing I can think to warm you about is the dialogue which took me a little while to warm up to (but then again I'm not British so what do I know?). If your anything like me you will be happy to know that this book is love-triangle free and there is no overpowering insta-love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All excellent reasons to love this book! Thanks for stopping by to rave about it, Italia!

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015