--------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

BBAW Day 3: Community II


Today's topic is one I feel ridiculously inadequate writing about, so I'm hoping y'all will share your good advice and I will learn.  However, I wanted to mention a few things that I think I've learned (even if I haven't applied them) about blogging community.

First, the book blogging world is enormous.  There will never be a way for you to know every book blog out there and connect with everyone.  I think the best thing to do is find a core group of bloggers that you like.  People whose opinions and reviews you can respect, even if you don't always agree with them.  Connect with them, comment on their reviews or features that you like (and by comment, I mean things of substance).  Chat with them on twitter.  (Oh, how I am laughing at myself for giving this advice - I am so bad at it.)  This doesn't mean, however, that once you have a core group it can't grow, it just means you don't have to feel like you need to have 100 best blogging buddies.  I'd never have the time or energy to keep up with that many.  Kudos to you if you can!

Second, I think it's ok to have blogs on your periphery that you keep track of, but don't personally interact with the bloggers.  I stalk a number of blogs that I comment on irregularly, if at all.  Usually these are the big names that won't notice if there are 96 comments instead of 97.  I don't have the time to comment on everything I read, so usually these are the blogs that I skip.  Bloggers who are just getting started or that are under-the-radar are the ones I am more likely to comment on. 
  
So, let's get to some better advice, shall we?  I'd like to ask you guys, how do you find the time to blog and connect with other bloggers?  How do you start off that initial awkward acquaintance?  What are your tips for the ridiculously shy (like, well, me)?


If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

9 comments :

  1. I am so bad at twitter as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's great advice. I'm still pretty new at blogging and it's almost overwhelming how many other great bloggers there are out there. I'm just starting to have a smaller group of a dozen or so blogs that I check/comment on regularly. And it's a lot more manageable. And fun!
    But I have the opposite problem with twitter. I'm on there too much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so true about commenting on a blog with already a gazillion comments! I too always skip that and seek out the newer blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time is the major issue for me. I sometimes feel like I lose out on reading time because of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm absolutely with you on the huge blogs. I stalk them when I have time, but tend to focus on blogs I can connect with more. And I'm also shy and so less than comfortable with Twitter, so I know I don't use it to its full potential!

    One of my favorite ways to connect with other readers, I've found, is to read something together. Formal readalongs are awesome, of course, but it's also fun to pick a book on your TBR that another blogger's also interested in and just read it at the same time. It can be really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't keep up with too many blogs; it's so overwhelming. The blogs on my sidebar are more likely to get read and commented on than all those blogs I follow but are not on my sidebar. I try to keep up with them too but it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's really important to keep in the forefront of your mind that blogging is primarily something you do for yourself. If it stops being fun, you shouldn't do it.

    My capacity to be community-oriented is really variable depending on how much I've got going on in the rest of my life. I read who I read and comment when I can. I do not want my blog to be more work than pleasure ever. So I go at my own pace and when other people like things I wrote - bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your first advice. I had to take a step back in the beginning and really prioritize the blogs I read and comment on. I've had to do it a few times since then (and I'm really due to do it now). I enjoy reading and supporting so many blogs, but it's hard to keep up with it and I'm still struggling with finding a balance.

    I'm not at all close to a big blogger with tons of comments yet, but I do love the comments I do get. Every single one of them matters to me. For me, it isn't about a total number of comments received. Every (meaningful) comment is unique and a conversation with an individual I value, even if we're just meeting for the first time.

    I don't really have any good advice to give. I'm bad at time management and I'm super shy. The only thing I can really say is I beat down the part of me that's thinking every comment I make is going to make me sound stupid and annoy people, I quickly make the comment, and then I try not to stress about it anymore :P No one seems to judge as harshly as we judge ourselves though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. reviewsbylola, so glad I'm not alone!

    kathy, I like having a nice small number I interact with regularly and others I can check occasionally.

    Suey, I think it's maybe a bit more rewarding for them :)

    Erin, I've only done one read-along, but it was a blast. I should do more!

    Jenny, I think only a few are just fine to keep up with. At least, that's what I tell myself :)

    Caitlin, good advice! My participation in community totally depends on my outside life too. And it should!

    Small, fantastic advice! I know I have to beat down my desire not to comment with something stupid. I'll just have to buck up and do it!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015