--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Book Review: Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Firelight by Sophie Jordan
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication date: September 2010
ISBN:9780061935084
Source: Library



Jacinda has been groomed for leadership in her draki pride, ever since she became the first fire breather in centuries.  But when breaking the rules puts her in contact with a sympathetic hunter and on the bad side of pride leadership, her mother takes Jacinda and her twin sister and secretly runs from the pride.  Will they be able to blend in with regular people and will Maidens be able to keep her inner draki alive?

Things I Liked:
I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed this one.  I remember reading several scathing reviews when it came out and I completely agree with much that was said. However, maybe it was my lowered standards, but I managed to enjoy it.  I really loved the family relationships.  I thought it was important for Jacinda to grow up and understand what her family has done for her over the years.  There was a nice conflict between Jacinda and her sister that kept me interested in the story.  Also, the plot picked up about halfway through enough to keep me reading.


Things I Didn't Like:
The writing was not really to my taste, feeling a little too choppy sometimes.  And the beginning was very slow and felt like every other paranormal romance out there.  The ending was a little far-fetched also.  It definitely has its flaws, but I'm planning to pick up the next one anyway.  


Read-alikes:
It reads a lot like many of the star-crossed paranormal romances out

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
A very few mild ones


mrg-factor: X
some sensual stuff, innuendo mainly


v-factor: ->
a little bit, but not much


Overall rating: ***

Any fans of this series want to tell me why you like it?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

2 comments :

  1. Yes! That's exactly how I felt. It was rather ridiculous and yet, I liked it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, it's nice to have those kinds of books sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015