--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, January 23, 2012

Book Review: Circle of Fire by Michelle Zink

Circle of Fire by Michelle Zink
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication date: August 2011
Pages: 368
Source: Library

For: Fun
Series: Prophecy of the Sisters, Book 3


*Spoilers for the first two books likely*
Lia is nearing the end of her search for the things she needs to close the gate.  All she needs now is the fourth key and the stone.  But, time is something she doesn't have.  Pursued by the Souls and constantly battling against their powers has worn her down.  Will she have the strength to withstand them and will she be able to get Alice to help her close the gate?

Things I Liked:
I was happy to finally have the conclusion to this series.  I love the Gothic historical fantasy feel to the story.  With the secret societies and the place the two sisters have in the prophecy, I couldn't stop reading the final book.  I loved especially the dynamics of Lia's relationship with her sister and with the other keys, particularly learning to forgive and trust.  I thought those were the most interesting parts of the book, though how the ancient rite would be performed was also intriguing.  Though the ending seemed inevitable, I was still interested in how she would get there.  A satisfying end to an interesting series.

"We all fall short at times, don't you think?"  she asks.  "But we forgive others their shortcomings and hope they will do the same for us."  "Perhaps.  But that's the thing; I have not forgiven their shortcomings as readily as you forgave mine.  Now..." I sigh.  "Well, now I suppose it seems unfair to expect them to extend their kindness to me." p 238
Things I Didn't Like:
I got a bit tired of the doom and end of the world feeling that Lia seemed to express at the end of every chapter.  Yes, if she fails, it's all over, but it seemed overdone and beaten to death.  Also, I was rather disappointed in how easily and neatly the end came about.  Alice's part in the book came suddenly and seemed rather unlike her character.  I admit I had a hard time believing it.  Still, a good story.


Read-alikes:

Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox
The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !
maybe a few

 
mrg-factor: XX
it's there, but not explicit


v-factor: none

Overall rating: ***.5 


I'm starting to think I just don't like the last book in trilogies anymore.  Maybe I just don't like endings?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

No comments :

Post a Comment

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015