--------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Book Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication date: October 2011
Pages: 400
Source: e-book from NetGalley
For: Fun
Series: Iron Fey, Book 4


*Spoilers for the first three books are inevitable*
Ash, banished from his home in the Winter Court, unable to be with Meghan in the Iron Court, is determined to find a way to stay with her. With the help of Puck and a few other friends, he embarks on a dangerous journey, one that will lead to death or to a life with his true love.

Things I Liked:
Kagawa can write a killer good faery story.  I love the complex world she's created and especially the many unique characters that inhabit Faery.  There are so many aspects of the Nevernever that make this story interesting and add depth.  I also love a good story and this one definitely has a good story.  Action and adventure, sacrifice, love, understanding, and a touch of humor.  Something for everyone in this one.  Though I saw the ending coming a mile away (I mean, who didn't?) I still enjoyed the journey.  I'll be interested to see where Kagawa goes next.

Things I Didn't Like:
I actually had a really hard time getting into the book.  I've never been that much of a fan of Ash, to be honest, so that probably was part of it.  The story was pretty slow moving too, despite having some awesome action sequences.  I just really struggled through about the first half of the book.  After that, I got into it enough.  It was pretty predictable in the story arc, and a little bit sappy sweet, but I think Kagawa strikes a pretty good balance too.  But man, I really liked Puck more.

Read-alikes:
Read the first three books in the Iron Fey series first
Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: ! 
a few here and there

mrg-factor: X 
implied, off-page stuff

v-factor: ->->
they have to battle creatures and beasties quite often

Overall rating: ***

I think this series has been raved about by nearly everyone.  Am I just missing something?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

4 comments :

  1. So overall, you weren't that impressed by this series? I've read the first two and enjoyed them, and look forward to the next two... but I'm a little nervous that they will fall short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really enjoy the entire series much. I liked them, but they were all about the same for me. So, since you enjoyed the first two, the last two should be the same for you. :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't started this series yet but I know most people just rave about it. I have the entire series on my shelf so I'm hoping that I enjoy it once I dig in.

    Sorry this series wasn't for you. Maybe you will like her new series about vampires more than this one :)

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think I'm out of the norm on this one. And I actually have no desire to read her new vampire series - at least until the raving begins :)

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015