--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Book Review: Keeping the Castle by Patrice Kindl

Keeping The Castle by Patrice Kindl
Publisher: Penguin (Viking Juvenile)
Publication date: June 2012
Pages: 272
Source: Library
For: Fun

Althea is in need of a rich man to marry.  In order to care for her widowed mother, two dependent step-sisters, and to keep her younger brother's inheritance, she must find someone quick to keep the castle from falling apart.  There don't seem to be too many eligible rich gentleman in Lesser Hoo, until Lord Boring comes to the neighborhood.  Althea is determined to have him, despite his annoying friend, Mr. Fredericks. 

Things I Liked:
This was a perfect read for me at this time.  I was desperately in need of something lighter and funner and happier (after a few dark, sad books).  Kindl delivered!  I loved reading about the escapades of Althea and how she couldn't seem to keep her mouth shut when she needed to.  I loved how she was able to grow and change over the course of the story, especially in regards to her motivations.  The cast of characters is fun, if many of them aren't really well-developed at all.  It was a light and happy story and just what I needed.

Things I Didn't Like:
Yeah, there are some characters who are pretty much stand-ins.  I was most interested in Althea and Miss Vincy, who both seemed an intriguing kind of woman for that time period.  I found that I didn't even much care that I knew how it would end and why (well, most of it) and that it was so neatly done.  I just thoroughly enjoyed the quirky characters and fun Austen feel.  Despite its 17-year-old character, this would be a perfect read for tweens and younger who love that sweet romance and regency feel.

Read-alikes:
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (or really any Austen)

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: none

Overall rating: ****

This is my first Patrice Kindl book, but I've heard great things about her other books - what should I read from her next?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

5 comments :

  1. Oooo! I want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's loads of fun! Hope you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like the kind of book I would love! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is so much fun to read and enjoy. A nice break from dark and depressing books.

      Delete
  3. Nice review! :D

    Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/12/keeping-castle-by-patrice-kindl.html

    Thanks and have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015