--------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, December 14, 2012

Book Review: Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor

Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication date: November 2012
Pages: 528
Source: Purchased
For: Fun!
Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Book 2


*Will likely contain spoilers for the first book, Daughter of Smoke and Bone*
Karou is still trying to understand who and what she is - though her memories have returned. She knows that Akiva betrayed her and stole everything from her and that knowledge spurs her to take great measures in redeeming herself with her people. But how far will she go to make amends and can she ever truly be accepted again? 

Things I Liked:
I continue to be amazed at the stuff Laini comes up with.  She has such a vivid imagination and an amazing way to bring those images and ideas to life with her unique writing style.  I love how strange and yet natural the descriptions she uses throughout the book paint a picture of this intriguing world.  Karou continues to fascinate me, especially with the many feelings she experiences.  She has hard choices and despite making mistakes, tries her best to overcome those.  She really grows over this book and the growth felt subtle, natural, and intriguing.  Chimera, angels, Eretz, teeth, resurrection, all of this adds up to a twisted, strange, and yet un-put-downable story that I was completely surprised by.  The direction it went left me guessing all the way to the conclusion.  I'm happy to report that this second installment did not suffer from second-book-itis for me.  Can't wait for the next one.


Things I Didn't Like:
I was a bit disturbed by some of the things that happened.  But, that's just me.  It was a brutal and honest book and despite my being uncomfortable on a number of occasions, I enjoyed it thoroughly.


Read-alikes:
 
Start with Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr
Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor
Demon's Lexicon series by Sarah Rees Brennan

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: !@
some, though not a lot

mrg-factor: XX
a few incidents, quite a bit of innuendo

v-factor: ->->->
to the point of disturbing at times

Overall rating: *****

Are you a fan of this series?  What draws you in?

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

6 comments :

  1. Oh no! I've been wanting to read this series so bad, but now I'm a bit scared of the disturbing factor. I may have to chance it with this one, though. Decisions, decisions! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd give it a try. It was still very good. The first one is not nearly as disturbing.

      Delete
  2. I've yet to even read the first but you have no idea how happy it makes me to see you say this one doesn't suffer that horrible second book syndrome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished reading this earlier today! Wow. Like you said, it was brutal. I think Laini Taylor's talented writing made it seem even more violent and intense because she is just so good at describing things and making me feel what her characters are feeling. Loved this book and can't wait for the last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, the way she writes brings things so vividly to life!

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015