--------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Micro Reviews: Finishing Up 2013, Part 2

Part 2 of the last of my 2013 books (see Part 1 here).  Enjoy!


The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margot Lanagan
Disturbing, depressing, horribly sad, but gorgeously written and so believable I wanted to visit Rollrock Island. Sort of.


Transparent by Natalie Whipple
I distinctly remember enjoying this book and the different "powers" people have in it.  But for the life of me, I can't remember much of what actually happened :)


Earthbound by Aprilynne Pike
This book made me think "what is going on?" a few too many times.  I'm pretty sure I ended up skimming the last half.  Now I don't remember a thing about it.


Hero by Alethea Kontis
Love, love, love Saturday.  She's such a cool heroine.  Also, I love the fairy-tale mash-ups going on in this series.


Just One Day by Gayle Forman
Fascinating story, though I wanted to smack Lulu upside the head a number of times.  The plot was a bit difficult for me to swallow, because it's something I'd NEVER do, but I have to give Forman props for wonderful writing and characters that kept me reading.


Allegiant by Veronica Roth
Despite many angry responses, I found the surprise ending rather believable for Tris. The rest of the story, however, I had some trouble swallowing.  End of the Divergent series.


Blackout by Robison Wells
Another crazy adventure story, complete with x-men powers and cliff-hanger ending. 


The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson
A wonderful and satisfying ending to one of my favorite fantasy series (and heroines) ever. Can we get more Elisa please?


The Eye of Minds by James Dashner
Completely insane virtual reality plot with a surprising twist I never saw coming. Some parts a little too unbelievable with some writing that grated my nerves, but intriguing enough that I want more. 


Just One Year by Gayle Forman
An interesting look at what happened to Willem over the course of a year. Made me dislike him slightly less :)


I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley
Flavia de Luce up to more antics at home, always with mad crime-solving skills up her sleeve. 


Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
Intense, interesting, and extremely well-written story about a serious lack of heroes in a world of superpowers. While I guessed some twists, others caught me by surprise. 


Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson
Wonderful story of friendship and romance, with a heroine who sticks to her guns and seizes what she wants in a time when women didn't get to do that much.

Whew! I'm so relieved to be done with 2013 books!

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

7 comments :

  1. I'm with you on Allegiant - the ending made total sense, but the rest of the book was pretty awful. Too bad.

    Isn't Flavia the best? I am currently listening to them as a re-read before I read the newest and I just love her more and more.

    Transparent was pretty fun, but forgettable. I've only read the first Maze Runner book and thought the writing was so awful I haven't bothered with the rest. Sounds like his newest is the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KT, I am so glad you feel the same way about so many books I read. I love having a book soul mate :) YES! Flavia on audio is so great. Can't wait to hear what you think of the newest...I read it but haven't gotten a review posted (or written...)

      Delete
  2. I've actually read two of these (go, me!), both because of the Whitney Awards. Were you part of that this year? You should be! Anyway, I actually didn't care much for either STEELHEART or BLACKOUT. Neither was very original or impressive. Lots of action, but not much else (IMHO, anyway)

    Can't wait to see what you've read so far in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done any Whitney Awards reading, but I always see you doing them and think I should. I can agree with you on the lack of originality on those books, but I certainly still managed to enjoy them :)

      Delete
  3. LOL! Way to have a review blitz! I like seeing short and sweet thoughts! Fun to see. I loved many on this list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to read others short and sweet more than long and in depth, so it was nice to pop them out too :) Though I think maybe 26 of them might be overdoing it. A bit.

      Delete
  4. You just added a few to my must read list (especially The Brides of Rollrock Island and Hero~ and I can't believe I haven't finished Rae Carson's books yet!)

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015