--------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Lord of the Rings Read-Along, Part 5

Question on Kami's Library Thoughts.
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4.

I've been trying to come up with something to say about the discussion question (basically, we can talk about some kind of theme from this book).  I loved seeing all the responses so far and they all made me think even more about the book.  What I decided to focus on was the idea of sacrificing all in order to do some small good.  Throughout this book in particular, but in other ones as well, characters make the choice to do something that seems like it will fail and they will die, but knowing that full well and still choosing to do it.  Pretty much every time I read those kinds of things, I feel like my heart swells and I have all the feels going on.  Here are some examples:

-Rohan riding to the aid of Gondor - Theoden as well as Eowyn and Merry all assume this will be their last act
-The seige of Gondor - pretty much the entire time, the people assume this is the end, but they will still make a stand
-Faramir going out to defend Osgiliath - everyone knows this is a suicide mission and there is no point, but he goes because his father asks him to go
-The march to the Black Gates - all of the people know from the start that their chance of survival is miniscule.  I love the part where Aragorn sees that some of his people are overwhelmed by fear and he offers them the option of still maintaining their honor, but not having to face something they are not able to.  Pippin, right near the end of the book, says he's going to go out with a fight. 
-Obviously, Frodo and Sam feel like they are on a doomed mission from the first, but they just keep going.  And yet Sam always has such a positive outlook on it.

I just feel like the kind of courage it requires to make the choice consciously to fight even knowing you will fail or die is something inspiring.  It always makes me wonder what kinds of choices I would make if I experienced those kinds of odds and knew it was a choice between making a stand and dying or running away.

And since I've mentioned how very obsessed I've been with Lord of the Rings (see this tribute for some proof), I decided I'd post a bit of my fan art. I'm not super creative, so most of this is just me copying stuff from the movies. 


I had a Legolas obsession (movie Legolas, of course)


I loved the jewelry from the movie - some seriously beautiful pieces

And, of course, Eowyn!


If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

8 comments :

  1. I didn't know you were an artist! Those are fantastic! I should feature you on my fan art friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness. I'm not sure I'd call myself an artist :) Thanks for your compliments - this is about the extent of my fan art, but if you wanted to have it on your blog, I would be ok with that.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know you were an artist. Your pieces look great! I love your insights on sacrifice. I often wonder how I'd fare in situations like these as well, or in situations like being in the Holocaust or some other horrible thing. I'd hope I be courageous and brave and keep my faith in God, but I don't think anyone ever knows until they're put in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I wonder if I would have courage to make it through awful things, but like you say, wouldn't know unless I faced it :) And thanks!

      Delete
  3. Wow! I didn't know you were so talented. :) Those are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugg! My comment disappeared. I have a curse of that lately. Recreation forthcoming.

    You are so very talented!! I love seeing the jewelry alone like that. Amazing.

    Anyway, I love your thoughts on sacrifice and agree that it is a theme repeatedly emphasized in the books. It suggests over and over that the good characters, the best characters, are those that are willing to put aside their own interests, even their own lives, for the greater good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bah, that's so aggravating - I usually give up and skip commenting, so thanks for persevering! I love reading about people who are willing to sacrifice for others. It makes me want to be better!

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015