--------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Book Review: Chasing the Prophecy by Brandon Mull

Chasing the Prophecy by Brandon Mull
Publisher: Aladdin
Publication date: March 2013
Pages: 512
Source: Library
For: Fun
Series: Beyonders, Book 3
Summary from goodreads: *Spoilers are inevitable for the first two books*

Jason and Rachel were not born in Lyrian. They did not grow up in Lyrian. But after all of the battles and losses, the triumphs and adventures, and most of all, the friendships forged in this fantastical world, Lyrian has become home to them in a way they never could have imagined.

And so, armed now with the prophecy of a dying oracle, they have gone on their separate quests—each surrounded by brave and powerful allies—knowing that the chance for success is slim. But Jason and Rachel are ready at last to become the heroes Lyrian needs, no matter the cost.
Things I Liked:
Brandon Mull has some seriously interesting things going on in his imagination.  This series pulls out all the stops and throws it all out there.  I did like how all the characters had to work together and do everything they could and more to even have a hope of succeeding.  It was well-plotted and allowed us to see what each person's contribution should be.  I especially liked how it focused a lot on how Rachel and others had serious doubts about the success of their mission and how this was dealt with.  Each person was unique in their responses to the pressure and stress.  Some really interesting fantasy stuff too.  The ending was pretty good as well, if a little bittersweet.

Things I Didn't Like:
I had a hard time feeling motivated to read this one.  It felt really long and got bogged down a lot by repetitive character feelings and actions.  I struggled to keep going, even with the snippets of action and adventure.  There was just too much stuff that distracted from the story, I think.  Still, a satisfying conclusion and a series for fans of complicated and a little bit crazy fantasies.

Read-alikes:
Reminds me of Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Also like the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: ->->
some fighting

Overall rating: ***

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

2 comments :

  1. I still haven't read the first one in this series. Brandon Mulls books are a little too middle grade childish to me but I do love his crazy imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this one definitely displays the crazy imagination. But they are a bit of a slog for me.

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015