--------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

This isn't What It Looks Like AND You have to Stop This by Pseudonymous Bosch

This Isn't What It Looks Like and You Have to Stop This by Pseudonymous Bosch
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication date: September 2011 & September 2013
Pages: 432 & 352
Source: Library
For: Fun
Series: The Secret Series, Books 4 & 5


Summary of Book 4 (from goodreads):
Cass finds herself alone and disoriented, a stranger in a dream-like, medieval world. Where is she? Who is she? With the help of a long-lost relative, she begins to uncover clues and secrets--piecing together her family's history as she fights her way back to the present world.

Meanwhile, back home, Cass is at the hospital in a deep coma. Max-Ernest knows she ate Time Travel Chocolate--and he's determined to find a cure. Can our expert hypochondriac diagnose Cass's condition before it's too late? And will he have what it takes to save the survivalist?

Summary of Book 5 (from goodreads):
I always feared this day would come. A secret is meant to stay secret, after all. And now we've come to this: the fifth and final (I swear!) book in my saga of secrets.
A class trip to the local natural history museum turns dangerous, or perhaps deadly--and I don't mean in the bored-to-death way--when Cass accidentally breaks a finger off a priceless mummy. Forced to atone for this "crime" of vandalism, Cass and her friends Max-Ernest and Yo-Yoji go to work for the mummy exhibit's curator, only to be blamed when tragedy strikes. To clear their names--and, they hope, to discover the Secret--the trio must travel deep into a land of majestic pyramids, dusty tombs, mysterious hieroglyphs, and the walking dead. Egypt? Or somewhere much stranger . . .

In the midst of it all, the Secret still lurks. You're out there, reading and talking about it, and now my life--and chocolate supply--is in the greatest danger yet. So please, with a cherry on top, I'm begging you: you have to stop this!
Things I Liked:
I had a ridiculously hard time getting back into book 4.  I kept forcing myself for some unknown, crazy reason to finish.  I'm not sure why I felt like I had to read the whole series, but I did.  I'm not sure if it was just the book or if it was me, but I eventually hit the point of no return(ing the book to the library unfinished), so I kept going.  It was a good thing I had the last one too.  I kind of started getting an inkling of what was going to be the Secret before it arrived.  I'm glad to have finished this series.  It was atypical and rather humorous at times, if annoying as well.

Things I Didn't Like:
Yeah, I really struggled to care about anything going on.  It's been a super long time since I read the first three books, so I really didn't want to keep going.  But I pounded through and I'm done now.  I started to be really annoyed at how repetitive some of the descriptions of people became.  Max-Ernst, Cass, their parents, pretty much everyone was the same.  I liked some of the puzzles they had to figure out.  And I still think the series is really clever in conception and good in the execution as well.  Maybe too juvenile and annoying at times for me.

Read-alikes:
Not much, though it sometimes felt like Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

BOOK CONTENT RATINGS:
s-factor: none

mrg-factor: none

v-factor: none

Overall rating: ***

If you buy through my Amazon linkage, I will get a very small percentage

2 comments :

  1. I think this series is really fun, but I actually never finished it either! I'd probably have difficulty getting back into it at this point, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if I'd read them all together.

      Delete

Love it when you comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © melissa of One Librarian's Book Reviews 2008-2015